Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Don't Want to Have Kids

I don't understand why people just won't accept my decision not to have kids.  It's always the "Why not?", "You're just saying that now!", "No...I don't think you meant what you just said." , among others.

Why can't most people accept that it's a personal decision?

"You mean...you don't want responsibilities?"
Why would I want them?  If I had a choice not to have that responsibility, does it make me a mean person?

"Isn't that kind of selfish?"
What's more selfish: have a kid when you have nothing to pay for their milk, or choose to spare the kid from starving?

"You have a career, you should be able to have a kid of your own."
Who are you to tell me where my money goes, anyway?

"You might regret it when you finally want to have kids but can't."
I'll cross that bridge...IF I get there.

"You have no idea how much happiness a child brings!"
Yeah, and I don't want to find out.

"Who's going to take care of you when you get old?"
Oh, so you are merely having kids to train to become your future wet nurses and caregivers? Interesting.

"You're still young."
Yeah, I know that.  I can count.

"But that's the only reason for being a woman!"
No, the reason why women are existing is for balance, awesome food, and to become a person who actually contributes to the betterment of Mother Earth by not having more humans to help contaminate it.

"But children are blessings!"
Not if I don't choose to have them.

"Maybe you're just not ready."
I'm probably more ready than most people.  I just don't want one.

"Who's going to continue your lineage?"
Pfft, haha. What am I, royalty?

.....and so many more questions that are just annoying.  Why can't people just take it as it is and move on? Why ask me about my life, my preferences, or whatnot?

So to clear things up:  I just don't want to.  There is absolutely no need for a special or traumatizing reason behind it.  It's a personal choice, just when you choose a college course or a career over the other.

Besides, just because a woman is traditionally thought of being a mother someday, it doesn't mean that it's the path for every woman.  Some people speak because tradition told them to, but it doesn't mean that they're right.  There are people who are meant to play a particular role, and being a mother is a role I chose not to sign up for.

However, if I (accidentally) got pregnant, I'd probably do a better job than most--but if I were given a choice, I choose to be single and enjoy a child-free life.

No comments:

Post a Comment